Ordering Will Open in Early June
Starting in early June, schools will be able to order tests on our test ordering site. Ordering for fall tests will be available in June, and ordering for spring tests will be available in late fall. We'll send an email to alert you when ordering opens.
The PSAT/NMSQT (Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test) can be given to 10th- or 11th-grade students. As part of the SAT Suite of Assessments, it’s designed to help prepare students for the SAT, college, and careers. Historically, students who took the PSAT/NMSQT scored higher on the SAT, on average, than those who didn’t take the test.
Students who take the PSAT/NMSQT in 11th grade may meet requirements to enter the National Merit® Scholarship Program, an academic competition for recognition and scholarships. Additionally, the SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, and PSAT 10 connect students to another $300 million in college scholarships for students across all major demographics. Offering the PSAT/NMSQT in the spring to your sophomores lets you check in on students’ progress, especially their math skills, so that you can help them prepare to do their best in their junior year.
Flexible Administration Policies for Fall 2021
Many of the flexible test administration policies we offered in 2020-21 due to the pandemic are being extended to fall 2021 to make it easier to adhere to local health guidelines. Schools should order test materials for each administration carefully, as unused test fees may apply.
- Ordering for Multiple PSAT/NMSQT Test Dates: You can test students across multiple PSAT/NMSQT administration dates. You can do one of the following:
- Order tests for the Primary and Alternate.
- Order tests for the Saturday and Alternate.
- To ease spacing constraints, you may divide your students between two administration dates, or you may order a few additional test books for the Alternate in case students are absent on your initial test date. There is no minimum for the number of students who can test on any of the administration dates.
- Note: The PSAT/NMSQT Alternate will be administered on Tuesday, October 26, 2021. Test dates have been selected to provide schools options throughout the week.
- The Alternate will be the final PSAT/NMSQT administration for the 2021-22 school year. Schools that plan to only test their students on the Alternate should be aware that no additional administrations will be available if they are unable to test on the Alternate due to unforeseen circumstances.
- New for fall 2021: Test books will not have a test date on the cover.
- Tests for the Primary test date, October 13, will be labelled as "Primary"
- Tests for the Saturday test date, October 16, will be labelled as "Saturday"
- Tests for the Alternate test date, October 26, will be labelled as "Alternate"
- Schools that order by June 25, 2021, should expect their student guides only shipment to arrive as early as August 23, 2021, but no later than September 15, 2021.
- U.S. schools ordering by August 18, 2021, will be automatically opted in to receive preadministration (answer sheets and coordinator manuals) materials no later than September 22, 2021.
- Tests must be administered on the official administration day using the test books for that day. Testing with the wrong test book on the wrong day or testing on a day other than an official administration day will result in scores being ineligible for scholarship consideration. Ensure that you’re using the correct test books. Schools can choose from any of the October administrations to test their students. Ordering will be available in early June.
- Students may only take the PSAT/NMSQT once per academic year.
- The 2021 PSAT/NMSQT Alternate test is on Tuesday, October 26.
- Saturday test books must be returned immediately after test day, and score reports won't include question-level detail.
- Starting fall 2021: Schools administering PSAT-related assessments will no longer receive shipments of paper score reports.
- Educators can still view and print student score reports from the Roster Report in the K–12 Score Reporting portal.
- Students can continue to take advantage of the robust and personalized online tools for viewing and understanding their scores by signing into their College Board account.
- College Board will provide updated resources to help students and educators with this transition.
|PSAT/NMSQT Test Dates||Ordering Deadlines|
Primary: Wed., October 13
Saturday, October 16
Alternate: Tues., October 26
Aug 4: Deadline for schools outside the U.S. to decrease orders.
Spacing Between Desks
College Board requires a 3-foot minimum spacing between students' desks for security purposes. Schools should adjust the distance between students' desks and maintain spacing throughout the day according to local health guidelines to ensure the health and safety of students and staff. Please follow your state's Department of Health recommendations on social distancing, in accordance with the other seating requirements in the PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 10 coordinator manuals.
Prerecorded Audio (formerly MP3 Audio) is a Streaming App
For students using accommodations, prerecorded audio is delivered in a streaming app. Check your coordinator manual for details.
Test Book Return and Additional Resources
- Schools giving the PSAT/NMSQT on Saturday, October 16, 2021 must return all used and unused test books to College Board.
- Schools giving the PSAT 10 must return all used and unused test books to College Board.
- Delays in returning test books will lead to your scores being put on hold.
- For schools returning test books, your staff and students can't review the test questions and answer explanations after test day. Educators can access hundreds of PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 10 test questions using the SAT Suite Question Bank, a robust resource to support classroom instruction.
- PSAT 10 test takers can use Official SAT Practice to prepare for the SAT. They'll get thousands of interactive questions with instant feedback, video lessons that explain problems step by step, eight full-length practice tests, and more.
Labels for Your Return Boxes
We're including pink irregularity (IR) indicator labels in the PSAT/NMSQT coordinator kits we send to your school. If you’re returning any irregularity reports along with your other test materials, please put one IR label on each box in the shipment. IR labels can wrap around the edges of boxes but should not cover shipping return labels. This helps us process your shipment quickly and avoid scoring delays.
Tips for Getting Scores on Time
Here are a few easy steps you can take on or before test day:
- When collecting answer sheets, check that certain fields have been completed correctly. These fields include, but are not limited to: name (field 1), school code (field 4), and form code (field A, located on the back of answer sheet). Errors in these fields can cause delays or failures in receiving timely and accurate scores. Go to the "Collecting Answer Sheets" section of your coordinator manual for details.
- For the PSAT/NMSQT, use the irregularity (IR) indicator labels described above if you're reporting test day irregularities. If you think you’ll need more labels than included in your coordinator kit, contact Customer Service to request more before test day. Call 888-477-7728 or email email@example.com.
- Return answer sheets and unused materials as well as any used and unused test books no later than the next school day after test day to prevent delays to scores.
Helping PSAT/NMSQT Students Get SAT Fee Waiver Benefits
When schools identify fee waiver–eligible students on PSAT/NMSQT rosters, those students can automatically access benefits for the SAT through their College Board accounts.
You're no longer required to order fee waivers and fee reductions prior to test day. After test day, log into the Test Ordering Site and select fee waiver–eligible students from an online roster. Remind students to take the following steps so they get their fee waiver benefits:
- Create a College Board account.
- Start registering for the SAT. (Students don't need to complete the entire registration to receive fee waiver benefits.)
- Complete Step 1 (called "Update Personal Info") of SAT registration.
- Complete the first page of Step 2 (the "Demographics" section within the "Create Student Profile" step) and then click Cancel or Save and Return. (Students may choose to complete the entire profile, but it's not required to receive benefits.)
- Accept the terms of the fee waiver eligibility pop-up prompt when returning to the My SAT homepage.
Note: A student's fee waiver benefits won't become active until they accept the benefits. See the full list of fee waiver benefits.
Encourage fee waiver-eligible students to use their benefits. Remind them that once they've taken the PSAT/NMSQT, they already know what to expect on the SAT.
Schools and districts must officially order PSAT/NMSQT or PSAT 10 test materials to get score reports after testing. Ordering reflects that your school has been approved for testing, that we have your correct mailing and contact information, and that your school has the correct materials to fairly administer tests.
Borrowing and lending is allowed for some test administrations, but schools using only borrowed materials won't receive score reports.
Testing Supports for English Learners
To make the PSAT 10 and PSAT 8/9 even more accessible to students, College Board has worked with educators to provide testing supports for English learners (EL).
Look Up Your School Code
To offer the PSAT/NMSQT or PSAT 10, your school needs an active six-digit College Board school code. Schools that offer the SAT or AP have one. If you need a code, call 609-771-7091 or access our new web-based school code request form.
Starting in June, schools will be able to place orders for multiple PSAT/NMSQT test dates on the test ordering site. For bulk registration, you will upload one file for all test dates and receive one set of labels for those students and tests.
To organize the labels that are sent to you, use the "Sort Group" field in your file upload to sort the labels by students testing on different days and in different rooms.
- PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 10 Resource Library: Includes student guide, coordinator manual, educator guide, sample score report, flyers, and more.
- Educator Resources: Includes counselor guide, teacher implementation guide, professional development modules, and more.
- 2021-22 Flexible Administration Policies for SAT School Day and PSAT-Related Assessments (.pdf/529 KB): Includes details about the option to test across multiple dates, flexible start times, and off-site testing.
- 2021-22 Flexible Administration Policies for PSAT-Related Assessments (.pdf/160 KB): Includes details for international schools about the option to test across multiple dates, flexible start times, and off-site testing.