Ordering is Now Open
Schools and districts can order tests on our test ordering site.
To better support you in ordering and administering the SAT School Day and PSAT/NMSQT during this uncertain time, we've enhanced the following policies during your order experience:
- Ordering for Multiple PSAT/NMSQT Test Dates: You can test students across multiple PSAT/NMSQT administration dates. This flexibility already exists for the PSAT 8/9 and SAT School Day. There is no minimum for the number of students who can test on any of the administration dates.
- Revised PSAT/NMSQT October Alternate Date: We adjusted the PSAT/NMSQT Alternate administration date to provide new choices on different days of the week:
- PSAT/NMSQT: If you previously placed an order for the original alternate date (Wednesday, October 28), your order will be automatically shifted to Thursday, October 29. You're required to administer the PSAT/NMSQT Alternate test on the revised date of October 29. If you're unable to test on October 29, please log into the test ordering site to cancel your initial order and order for a new date.
New January 26, 2021 PSAT/NMSQT administration
- The January administration will have the same benefits as the October PSAT/NMSQT, including eligibility for programs administered by National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
- All flexible ordering and administering policies for fall testing are extended for the January test date: flexible start times, off-site testing, and testing students across multiple dates. Additionally, schools won't be charged unused test fees.
- We will send schools an email by mid-October when ordering for the January administration is open.
- Schools can choose from any of the October and January administrations to test their students. Ordering for the three October test dates is available now and January will open in mid-October.
- Students may only take the PSAT/NMSQT once.
- Test booklets sent for one test date can't be used for a different test date.
- There is no minimum for the number of students who can test on any of the administration dates.
- If you already placed an order for the original alternate date (Wednesday, October 28), your order will be automatically shifted to Thursday, October 29. You must administer the PSAT/NMSQT Alternate test on the revised date of October 29 and not on October 28.
- Specific rules for Saturday testing will remain in place this fall. For example, Saturday test books must be returned immediately after test day, and score reports won't include question-level detail.
- No Charge for Unused Tests: Schools won't be charged test fees if they're unable to administer SAT School Day, PSAT 8/9, and PSAT/NMSQT in September 2020–January 2021. We understand the decision to test may not be made until closer to the administration dates. Please adjust your test book volumes the best you can by the ordering deadlines shown below.
|PSAT/NMSQT Test Dates||Ordering Deadlines|
October 14 (Wed)
October 17 (Sat)
October 29 (Thurs) Revised
Aug 5: Deadline for schools outside the U.S. to decrease orders
January 26, 2021 (Tues)
Mid-October: Ordering will open for the January administration.
Spacing Between Desks
College Board requires a 3-foot minimum spacing between students' desks for security purposes. Schools should increase the distance between students' desks and maintain spacing throughout the day according to local health guidelines to ensure the health and safety of students and staff. Please follow your state's Department of Health recommendations on social distancing, in accordance with the other seating requirements in the PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 10 coordinator manuals.
MP3 Audio is a Streaming App
For students using accommodations, MP3 audio is delivered in a streaming app. Check your coordinator manual for details.
Test Book Return and Additional Resources
- Schools giving the PSAT/NMSQT on Saturday, October 17, 2020, or Tuesday, January 26, 2021, must return all used and unused test books to College Board.
- Schools giving the PSAT 10 must return all used and unused test books to College Board.
- Delays in returning test books will lead to your scores being put on hold.
- For schools returning test books, your staff and students can't review the test questions and answer explanations after test day. Educators can access hundreds of PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 10 test questions using the SAT Suite Question Bank, a robust resource to support classroom instruction.
- PSAT 10 test takers can use Official SAT Practice to prepare for the SAT. They'll get thousands of interactive questions with instant feedback, video lessons that explain problems step by step, eight full-length practice tests, and more.
Labels for Your Return Boxes
We're including pink irregularity (IR) indicator labels in the PSAT/NMSQT coordinator kits we send to your school. If you’re returning any irregularity reports along with your other test materials, please put one IR label on each box in the shipment. IR labels can wrap around the edges of boxes but should not cover shipping return labels. This helps us process your shipment quickly and avoid scoring delays.
Tips for Getting Scores Faster
Here are a few easy steps you can take on or before test day:
- When collecting answer sheets, check that certain fields have been completed correctly. These fields include, but are not limited to: name (field 1), school code (field 4), and form code (field A, located on the back of answer sheet). Errors in these fields can cause delays or failures in receiving timely and accurate scores. Go to the "Collecting Answer Sheets" section of your coordinator manual for details.
- For the PSAT/NMSQT, use the irregularity (IR) indicator labels described above if you're reporting test day irregularities. If you think you’ll need more labels than included in your coordinator kit, contact Customer Service to request more before test day. Call 888-477-7728 or email email@example.com.
- Return answer sheets and unused materials as well as any used and unused test books no later than the next school day after test day to prevent delays to scores.
Helping PSAT/NMSQT Students Get SAT Fee Waiver Benefits
When schools identify fee waiver–eligible students on PSAT/NMSQT rosters, those students can automatically access benefits for the SAT through their College Board accounts.
To support your students during this challenging time, you're no longer required to order fee waivers and fee reductions prior to test day. After test day, log into the Test Ordering Site and select fee waiver–eligible students from an online roster. Remind students to take the following steps so they get their fee waiver benefits:
- Create a College Board account.
- Start registering for the SAT. (Don't worry, students don't need to complete the entire registration to receive fee waiver benefits.)
- Complete Step 1 (called "Update Personal Info") of SAT registration.
- Complete the first page of Step 2 (the "Demographics" section within the "Create Student Profile" step) and then click Cancel or Save and Return. (Students may choose to complete the entire profile, but it's not required to receive benefits.)
- Accept the terms of the fee waiver eligibility popup prompt when returning to the My SAT homepage.
Note: A student's fee waiver benefits won't become active until they accept the benefits. See the full list of fee waiver benefits.
Schools and districts must officially order PSAT/NMSQT or PSAT 10 test materials to get score reports after testing. Ordering reflects that your school has been approved for testing, that we have your correct mailing and contact information, and that your school has the correct materials to fairly administer tests.
Borrowing and lending is allowed for some test administrations, but schools using only borrowed materials won't get score reports.
Testing Supports for English Learners
To make the PSAT 10 and PSAT 8/9 even more accessible to students, College Board has worked with educators to provide testing supports for English learners (EL).
Look Up Your School Code
To offer the PSAT/NMSQT or PSAT 10, your school needs an active six-digit College Board school code. Schools that offer the SAT or AP have one. If you need a code, call 609-771-7091 or access our new web-based school code request form.
Starting in mid-August, schools will be able to place orders for multiple PSAT/NMSQT test dates on the test ordering site. For bulk registration, you will upload one file for all test dates, and receive one set of labels for those students and tests.
To organize the labels that are sent to you, use the "Sort Group" field in your file upload to sort the labels by students testing on different days and in different rooms.
- PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 10 Resource Library: Includes student guide, coordinator manual, educator guide, sample score report, flyers, and more.
- Educator Resources: Includes counselor guide, teacher implementation guide, professional development modules, and more.
- Guide to Flexible Testing Options for Fall 2020 (.pdf/572 KB): Includes details about the option to test across multiple dates, flexible start times, no charge for unused tests, and off-site testing.
- International Guide to Flexible Testing Options for Fall 2020 (.pdf/566 KB): Includes details for international schools about the option to test across multiple dates, flexible start times, no charge for unused tests, and off-site testing.