Schools order all PSAT-related assessments on our site. The easy-to-use website provides a streamlined ordering process and up-to-date statuses for all orders on a single dashboard. Ordering the PSAT/NMSQT is available now and ordering the PSAT 10 is available in late fall.
Test Policy Reminders
The policies below have been in effect since 2019-20:
- Students may only take the PSAT/NMSQT once in an academic year.
- Test booklets must be used on their official administration date and cannot be used on a different date.
- The minimum distance between seats for all PSAT-related assessments is 3 feet, but we encourage you to adhere to local health guidelines.
- Schools administering the PSAT/NMSQT on Saturday October 16, 2021 must return test books. Schools giving the PSAT 10 must return all used and unused test books to College Board.
- Delays in returning test books to College Board will lead to your scores being put on hold.
- For schools returning test books to College Board, question-level details won't be available in score reports and test questions won't be available for review after the test. Instead, educators can access hundreds of similar PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 10 test questions using the SAT Suite Question Bank, a robust resource to support classroom instruction.
- For students using accommodations, prerecorded audio (formerly MP3 audio) will be delivered in a streaming app.
Schools must officially order PSAT/NMSQT or PSAT 10 test materials to get score reports after testing. Ordering reflects that your school has been approved for testing, that we have your correct mailing and contact information, and that your school has the correct materials to fairly administer tests.
Borrowing and lending is allowed for some test administrations, but schools using only borrowed materials won't get score reports.
Your access code to the test ordering site is emailed to your test coordinator on June 10, 2021. Contact us if you need help with your access code.
When you sign in, you'll be able to:
- Order standard test books
- Order accommodated test formats (for students with disabilities)
- Request additional coordinator manuals and student guides
Reminder: You are no longer required to order fee waivers and fee reductions prior to test day. After test day, log into the test ordering site and select fee waiver–eligible students from an online roster.
Encourage students who are fee waiver eligible to accept their benefits and take advantage of them. Remind students that once they’ve taken the PSAT/NMSQT, they already know what to expect on the SAT.
The PSAT/NMSQT is offered to 10th and 11th graders in the fall. Those who take it in 11th grade may meet requirements to enter the National Merit® Scholarship Program, an academic competition for recognition and scholarships.
Test dates for 2021-2022 are:
- Primary test day: Wednesday, October 13, 2021
- Saturday test day: October 16, 2021*
- Alternate test day: Tuesday, October 26, 2021
*If you test students on Saturday, October 16, 2021, test books must be returned immediately after test day and the score reports won't include question-level detail.
To ensure that tests are administered fairly for all students, tests must be administered on the official administration dates using the materials designated for those dates. Scores may be ineligible for scholarship consideration or canceled if schools test on the wrong day or use the wrong test books on the wrong day.
The Alternate will be the final PSAT/NMSQT administration for the 2021-22 school year. Schools that plan to only test their students on the Alternate should be aware that no additional administrations will be available if they are unable to test on the Alternate due to unforeseen circumstances.
If your school's participation was arranged by your state or district, check with them to see if any test date restrictions apply.
To see deadlines for SSD requests and more, go to PSAT/NMSQT Dates.
Parents and Students
Students sign up for the PSAT/NMSQT and the PSAT 10 through their school.
Offering PSAT 10 in the spring to sophomores lets you check in on students' progress, especially their math skills, so that you can help your students prepare to do their best in their junior year.
Schools and districts choose a date to offer the PSAT 10. Testing is available during:
- February 22–March 25, 2022
- April 13–29, 2022
To see deadlines for SSD requests and more, go to PSAT 10 Dates.
Fees are paid by schools. The cost to a student may be different if the student is in 11th grade and qualifies for a fee waiver or if the school covers all or part of the cost. Students should check with their school to find out their test fees.
In 2021-22, the fee for PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 10 test books is $18 each.
Test Formats for Students with Disabilities
After consulting with the SSD coordinator, test coordinators order accommodated test formats for students who need them.
Students must have College Board approval to use accommodated test materials when they take the PSAT/NMSQT, PSAT 10, SAT, and AP Exams. PSAT 8/9 accommodations are provided by the school unless the test is being administered as part of a state-sponsored administration.
The following formats can be ordered online:
- Large print
- Prerecorded audio (formerly MP3 audio)
- Reader's script