The Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) and PSAT 10 measure what students learn in school, determine if students are on track for college success, and open doors for opportunities to prepare and pay for college. The PSAT/NMSQT is open to 10th and 11th graders in the fall on three administration dates in October.
2021-2022 PSAT/NMSQT Dates
- Primary test day: Wednesday, October 13, 2021
- Saturday test day: October 16, 2021
- Alternate test day: Tuesday, October 26, 2021
Schools can order tests on our Test Ordering Site starting in mid-June this year.
Key Updates for 2021
Flexible Administration Policies Are Extended
Most test administration policies we offered for greater flexibility in 2020-21 are being extended this fall to make it easier to adhere to local health guidelines. The following policies are intended to make ordering and testing more flexible:
- Ordering for Multiple PSAT/NMSQT Test Dates: You can test students across multiple PSAT/NMSQT administration dates.
- Order tests for the Primary and Alternate or
- Order tests for the Saturday and Alternate
- To ease spacing constraints, you may divide your students between two administration dates, or you may order a few additional test books for the Alternate in case students are absent on your initial test date. There is no minimum for the number of students who can test on any of the administration dates.
- Note: The PSAT/NMSQT Alternate will be administered on Tuesday, October 26, 2021. Test dates have been selected to provide schools options on different days of the week.
- The Alternate will be the final PSAT/NMSQT administration for the 2021-22 school year. Schools that plan to only test their students on the Alternate should be aware that no additional administrations will be available if they are unable to test due to unforeseen circumstances.
Schools should order test materials for each administration carefully, as unused test fees may apply.
Ordering and Timeline Dates
|PSAT/NMSQT Test Dates||Ordering Deadlines|
Primary: Wed., October 13
Saturday: October 16
Alternate: Tues., October 26
Aug 4: Deadline for schools outside the U.S. to decrease orders
- Schools that order by this date will be eligible to get their student guides early.
- Deadline for schools outside the U.S. to decrease PSAT/NMSQT test book orders.
- U.S. schools that order by this date will be opted in to receive preadministration materials (answer sheets and coordinator manuals).
- Deadline for schools to complete SSD testing accommodations requests.
By September 15
- Schools outside the U.S. testing on October 13 and October 16 begin to receive test materials by this date.
- Deadline for U.S. schools to order, increase, or decrease PSAT/NMSQT test materials.
- Deadline for schools outside the U.S. to order or increase standard and accommodated PSAT/NMSQT test materials.
- Deadline for U.S. schools to order PSAT/NMSQT accommodated test materials.
By September 22
- Preadministration deliveries (U.S. schools only) arrive no later than this date.
By October 1
- Schools outside the U.S. testing on October 26 receive test materials by this date.
By October 6
- U.S. schools testing on October 13 and October 16 receive test materials.
- Primary PSAT/NMSQT test day.
- Deadline to return answer sheets from the October 13 test administration.
- Saturday PSAT/NMSQT test day.
- Deadline to return test books and answer sheets from the October 16 administration.
- U.S. schools testing on October 26 receive all test materials.
- Alternate PSAT/NMSQT test day.
- Deadline to return answer sheets from the October 26 administration.
- October administration scores available to educators online.
- October administration student scores are released online. Score availability depends on the state from which students are accessing scores. View the schedule.
Anticipated PSAT/NMSQT Dates
2022 PSAT/NMSQT Dates
|Primary Test Day||October 12, 2022|
|Saturday Test Day||October 15, 2022|
|Alternate Test Day||October 25, 2022|
|Note: All dates subject to change.|