Jump-Start Your Practice
Order the Official SAT Subject Test Study Guide in Chemistry and get two full-length practice tests, detailed answer explanations, tips, and more.
Ready to show colleges what you’re made of? The Chemistry Subject Test assesses your understanding of the major concepts of chemistry and your ability to apply these principles to solve specific problems. If you’re interested in studying science or engineering in college, taking the Chemistry Subject Test can help you demonstrate your interests and showcase your strengths in the subject.
Video Lessons from Khan Academy
Use the free Khan Academy® lessons in this playlist to study for the Chemistry Subject Test.
|200-800||60||85 (Multiple Choice)|
- Offered in August, October, November, December, May, and June.
- Calculator use not permitted
- Problem solving requires simple numerical calculations
- Measurements are expressed in the metric system
- A periodic table is provided on the test
Getting Ready for the Test
|Skills||Approximate % of Test|
|Fundamental concepts and knowledge||20%|
|Application of knowledge||45%|
|Synthesis of knowledge||35%|
- Understanding of the major concepts of chemistry and the ability to apply principles to solve specific problems
- Ability to organize and interpret results from observation and experimentation, and to draw conclusions or make inferences from experimental data, including data presented in graphic or tabular form or both
- Laboratory experience and familiarity with the metric system of units
- Ability to handle simple algebraic relationships and apply these to solving word problems
- Familiarity with the concepts of ratio and direct and inverse proportions, exponents and scientific notations
- One-year introductory college-preparatory course in chemistry
- One-year course in algebra
- Experience in the laboratory
|Content||Approximate % of Test|
Structure of matter
States of matter
Equilibrium and reaction rates
Download the SAT Subject Tests Student Guide (.pdf/6.3 MB) for more information on the topics.
Practice for Free
- Answer chemistry sample questions online.
- Watch video lessons from Khan Academy.
- Download the SAT Subject Tests Student Guide (.pdf/6.3 MB) for test-taking tips and more sample questions.Then check your answers with the Answer Explanations to the Chemistry Practice Questions (.pdf/621 KB).
Order Official Study Guides
- The new Official SAT Subject Test Study Guide in Chemistry includes two full practice tests.
- The Official Study Guide for All SAT Subject Tests: Second Edition is the only study guide that covers all 20 tests.
Additional Things to Know
Answering Relationship Analysis Questions
On the actual Chemistry test, relationship analysis questions must be answered on the special section (labeled “Chemistry”) at the lower left-hand corner of your answer sheet. These questions will be numbered beginning with 101. Note that “CE” in this section indicates a correct explanation of the relationship.
A periodic table indicating the atomic numbers and masses of elements is provided.
Please note that this test reflects what is commonly taught in high school. Due to differences in high school classes, it’s likely that most students will find questions on topics they’re not familiar with. This is nothing to worry about. You do not have to get every question correct to receive the highest score (800) for the test. Many students do well despite not having studied every topic covered.