The Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) and PSAT 10 measure what you're learning in school, determine if you're on track, and open doors for opportunities to prepare and pay for college.
Unlock the Benefits of the PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 10
Taking the PSAT/NMSQT and the PSAT 10 offers the following benefits to help you prepare for your academic future:
- Connect to $300 Million in Scholarships: Check "yes" to the Student Search Service® question on the PSAT/NMSQT answer sheet or opt in online to connect with 1,500 colleges and over $300 million in scholarships.
- Be Eligible for the National Merit® Scholarship Program: When you take the PSAT/NMSQT, you may meet requirements to enter the National Merit Scholarship Program and compete for national recognition and college scholarships.
- Learn Your Academic Strengths: After you take the PSAT/NMSQT or PSAT 10, your score report will show how well you performed and which college-level AP courses match your strengths.
- Access Free, Personalized Prep: Prepare for the PSAT/NMSQT with free resources from College Board and Khan Academy, and use your PSAT/NMSQT score to create a personalized SAT study plan through Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy®.
Talk to your school's counselors about when your school is offering the PSAT/NMSQT or PSAT 10.
How to Prepare for the PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 10
The best way to prepare for these tests is to:
- Take challenging courses
- Do your homework
- Prepare for tests and quizzes
- Ask and answer lots of questions
Take charge of your education and learn as much as you can.
See What They’re Like
Find out what kinds of questions you’ll see on the PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 10. Where do you want to start?