Online registration is the quickest and easiest method to register for the SAT Subject Tests. However, if you need to register by mail (also known as paper registration), you’ll need to ask your counselor for the Student Registration Booklet for the SAT and SAT Subject Tests (registration form and return envelope are included). You’ll also need the following items:
- An acceptable photo
- A form of payment
- A clergy letter, if applicable
- A fee waiver card, if applicable
Registration by mail is available for test dates in August, October, November, December, May, and June.
If you are taking the test in Ghana, review these policies for test takers in certain countries.
Mail Registration Deadlines
If you’re registering by mail to test in the U.S.:
- U.S. registration materials must be postmarked by the U.S. deadlines.
- The deadlines expire at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time, U.S.
- The late registration deadline for U.S. testing is earlier if you register by mail.
If you’re registering by mail to test outside the U.S.:
- Mailed registration forms must be received by the international deadlines.
- Deadlines expire at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time, U.S.
- There is no late registration for international testing.
Information Needed for Registering
When you fill out the form, you’ll need a College Board code for your high school (or the home-school code, 970000) and your test center. You might also need codes for the colleges you want to send scores to, your intended college major, and your country.
You can also find codes for test centers, college majors, colleges, scholarships, and countries in these downloads:
- The SAT Code List: Domestic Edition (.pdf/2.5MB)
- The SAT Code List: International Edition (.pdf/2.4MB)
You can also ask your school counselor for the code list.
You must include a recent photo with your paper registration form. This photo will become part of your admission ticket, and test center staff will compare it to your photo ID to ensure security on test day.
Avoid Processing Delays
To avoid processing delays, you must complete every field shaded in red and marked "Required" on the paper registration form. Incomplete forms and forms with errors will not be processed—and you might not be allowed to take the SAT Subject Tests on the date you choose.
If required information is missing, your form will be returned to you to complete and resubmit. Here are some common reasons this might happen:
- You failed to provide information in the fields designated as “Required” on the form.
- You didn’t include payment.
- You submitted insufficient payment or a payment that could not be processed.
Can I Register by Phone?
Only if you’re retaking the test and have a previous registration in the system. A fee applies.