You need to register for the SAT Subject Tests by mail (also known as paper registration) if you are:
- Requesting testing closer to home.
- Requesting Sunday testing for the first time.
- Paying by check or money order (payable to "The College Board").
- Younger than 13 years old.
- Unable to upload a digital photo as part of the online registration process.
- Taking the test in Ghana. See other policies for test-takers in certain countries.
- Registering through an SAT international representative.
What You’ll Need
You might need to include other items along with your registration form, depending on your reason for mailing in your registration. Check the links above.
Student Registration Guide
To register by mail, ask your counselor for the Student Registration Guide for the SAT and SAT Subject Tests. It comes with a registration form and return envelope.
When you fill out the form, you’ll need a College Board code for your high school (or the home-school code, 970000) and your test center. You might also need codes for the colleges you want to send scores to, your intended college major, and your country.
You can also find codes for test centers, college majors, colleges and scholarships, and countries in these downloads:
- The SAT Code List: Domestic Edition (.pdf/2.9MB)
- The SAT Code List: International Edition (.pdf/2.1MB)
Or ask your school counselor for the code list.
You must include a recent photo with your paper registration form. This photo will become part of your Admission Ticket, and test center staff will compare it to your photo ID to ensure security on test day.
Avoid Processing Delays
You must complete every field shaded in red and marked “Required” on the paper registration form. Incomplete forms and forms with errors will not be processed — and you might not be allowed to take the SAT Subject Tests on the date you chose.
If required information is missing, your form will be returned to you to complete and resubmit. Here are some common reasons this might happen:
- You failed to provide information in the fields designated as “Required” on the form.
- You didn’t include payment.
- You submitted insufficient payment or a payment that could not be processed.
- You requested Sunday testing or opening a test center closer to home without enclosing the required letter.
Can I Register by Phone?
Only if you’re retaking the test and have a previous registration in the system. A fee applies.
Download these PDFs for more help: