Before requesting a refund, make sure you’re sure. Weigh your priorities and options. And know that if you’ll be taking the SAT later, you can save money by changing your test date instead of canceling your registration and registering a second time.
If you’re just unsure about taking the SAT Essay portion, no problem. You may be able to remove or add the SAT Essay from your registration on test day if test materials, rooms, and staff are available. If you are able to switch on test day, the essay portion of your registration will be refunded after the test.
If you need to reschedule for any reason, transferring your test to a future date will save you money. The fee to change the test date is less than the cost of registering twice.
Before canceling, please know:
- Registrations cannot be refunded later than five days before test day.
- Canceled registrations are partially refunded — you’ll get $10 back, whether you were signed up for the SAT or the SAT with Essay.
- Refunds are processed beginning six weeks after the test date.
- Additional score reports you ordered with registration are refundable only if you are absent on test day.
- Question-and-Answer Service or Student Answer Service is only refundable if your order has not yet been fulfilled or if you missed your test date (for example, you were absent or you had to take a makeup test). Contact Customer Service.
- If you truly do not want to transfer your SAT registration, you can contact Customer Service to request a cancellation.
- Refunds are provided in the original form of payment.
Important: If you cancel your registration and later decide you would like to take the test on that date, you’ll need to register again. Don’t attempt to test using your original registration; if you do, those scores will not be reported.