The College Board has very careful and systematic quality control processes to ensure accuracy of your test score. If you would like to double-check your scores, you have access to score verification services.
Student Answer Verification
With our student answer verification services, you'll get:
- Difficulty of each question answered correctly, incorrectly, or omitted
- Type of test questions
You can order student answer verification services when you register for the SAT or up to five months after your test date. Depending on when and where you take the SAT, you can order either the Question-and-Answer Service or the Student Answer Service.
The student answer verification services are not test prep or practice tools.
The Question-and-Answer Service includes:
- A booklet copy of the SAT questions and a report including your answers for the specific testing administration
- The correct answers and additional scoring instructions
- Information about the type and difficulty of test questions
|October||Offered to students testing on Saturday in U.S. and Canadian test centers.*|
|March||Offered to students testing on Saturday in U.S. and Canadian test centers.*|
Offered worldwide for the Saturday and Sunday tests, and for students eligible for accommodations that require school-based testing.
*If you are testing in October or March with school-based accommodations and wish to receive the QAS, call the SSD office at least two weeks in advance of test day to see if arrangements can be made.
The Question-and-Answer Service is not available for makeup test administrations, alternate date testing, or U.S. military personnel testing under the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) program.
Order Student Answer Service if Question-and-Answer Service is unavailable.
- During test registration: If you plan to use the Question-and-Answer Service to study for the next scheduled test date, in many cases, the materials may not arrive until after the next scheduled test date.
- Up to five months after your test date: If you didn't order Question-and-Answer Service with your registration, there are three ways you can order:
- You can order online by signing into your College Board account and selecting Order Verification within My Scores.
- You may call Customer Service at 866-756-7346 (U.S. and Canada) and 212-713-7789 (International).
- You can order by downloading and submitting the SAT answer verification services order form (.pdf/527KB).
In many cases, Question-and-Answer Service materials may not arrive until after the next scheduled test date.
Fees and Refunds
The Question-and-Answer Service fee is not refundable once the service has been fulfilled. You can request a refund if you are absent on test day.
With the Student Answer Service, you'll get a computer-generated report containing:
- Questions answered correctly, incorrectly, or omitted
- Information about the type of test questions and level of difficulty for each question
Actual test questions and answers are not included.
- Up to five months after your test date: If you didn't order Student Answer Service with your registration, there are three ways you can order. You can order online by signing into your College Board account and selecting Order Verification within My Scores.
- You may call Customer Service at 866-756-7346 (U.S. and Canada) and 212-713-7789 (International). You can also order by downloading and submitting the SAT answer verification services order form (.pdf/527KB).
In many cases, the Student Answer Service report may not arrive until after the next scheduled test date.
Fees and Refunds
The Student Answer Service fee is not refundable once the service has been fulfilled. You can request a refund if you are absent on test day.
Score verification may assure you that your test has been scored accurately. Your options include multiple-choice hand score verification, essay score verification, or both.
Consider score verification if:
- Your score is very different from what you expected. You may have made an obvious mistake in marking your answers.
- Your essay is blank or completely illegible when you view it in your online score report. You may have written your essay in ink (which does not scan properly).
You might not want score verification if:
- You see your correct essay online and it is readable. Essay score verification does not include rereading the essay or an appeal of your essay score.
- You did not use a No. 2 pencil or you did not mark your multiple-choice answers according to our guidelines. We will not rescore your answer sheet, and your score will not change. Examples of not following the guidelines: using slashes, not completely or darkly filling in the answer circles, or not marking the circles for your student-produced responses in the math section.
You can request a multiple-choice hand score verification or essay score verification, or both, up to five months after test day by printing and completing a request for SAT score verification form (.pdf/568KB). Please read the information on the form carefully before deciding to request this service.
Fees and Refunds
There is a score verification fee required to cover the costs associated with verifying your scores. If you used a fee waiver to pay SAT registration fees, the score verification fee will be reduced. The reduced fee is available upon request and is provided on the Request for SAT Score Verification form.
We will refund your full score verification fee only if the change in scores was due to an irregularity in the scanning or scoring process.
We will mail a letter confirming the results of your multiple-choice hand score verification or essay score verification within five weeks after your signed request and payment are received.
Adjusted Scores Are Final
Multiple-choice hand score verification and essay score verification may result in higher or lower scores than the scores first reported. Adjusted scores are final and will be reported to all score recipients.
If you believe the answer sheet scanning process did not produce an accurate score, you may request a multiple-choice hand score verification. When hand scoring of a multiple-choice score is requested, your entire answer sheet will be manually reviewed. You cannot request verification of scores for a single section on the SAT or a single SAT Subject Test.
If your marks conform to the published instructions for marking the answer sheet, but there was an irregularity in the scanning or scoring process, your score may change. In this situation, your adjusted score will be automatically reported and your score verification fee will be refunded.
If we can determine that you made an obvious error in filling in the information on the answer sheet (such as, but not limited to, placing your answers in the wrong section of the answer sheet or improperly recording the test identifying code), your score may change. In this situation, your adjusted score will be automatically reported; however, your score verification fee will not be refunded.
Hand score verification is the most rigorous level of score verification. As such, it overrides other forms of score verification. If you order hand score verification, you will no longer see your full online score report and you will not have access to the Student Answer Service or Question-and-Answer Service for your hand scored answer sheet.
The hand score verification process is performed only once per test, using all information available. If you have information that you think could affect the results of the verification process, report it to Customer Service at the same time you submit the form.
The SAT scoring process includes an independent scoring of each essay by two qualified readers. If the two readers' scores differ by more than one point, a scoring director will score the essay. This automatic validation ensures the accuracy of the essay scoring process.
Essays Are Not Reread
The verification of essay scores does not include rereading the essay or an appeal of the essay score.
If you choose to have your essay score verified, the College Board will determine whether there was an error in the scanning or processing of the essay scores assigned by essay readers. In this situation, your adjusted score is automatically reported and your fee is refunded. The score verification fee will not be refunded for essays written in pen.